Endodontics is a specific branch of dentistry focused on treating the inside structures of the teeth. These include the nerves, tissues, pulp, and arterioles that keep the teeth alive and healthy.
When a tooth suffers severe trauma from an injury or disease, a dentist with endodontic training can perform specialized treatments to save the tooth and prevent extraction. These are the most common causes of inner tooth damage:
- Fractures and chips – When a tooth breaks, the nerves and pulp may be exposed, causing debilitating pain and discomfort that only root canal therapy can resolve.
- Bacterial infections – After a tooth experiences decay or injury, oral bacteria quickly invade the tooth’s interior structure to cause severe inflammation and infection. This requires root canal therapy to remove infected tissues and save the tooth.
- Injuries – Injured teeth may need special techniques to stabilize teeth after they’ve been shifted or dislodged from their sockets.
At Harmony Dental Group, we offer root canal therapy and root canal retreatment for patients suffering these types of difficult oral complications.
Root Canal Therapy
Every tooth has one or more hollow canals that hold blood vessels, nerves, and pulp cells. Root canal therapy often becomes necessary when the root canal becomes damaged by injury or decay. During root canal therapy, the living tissues, nerves, and bacteria, are removed and replaced with a medicated dental material called gutta percha.
This process makes it possible to save a tooth that would otherwise die and cause extreme pain in the mouth. As a common and standard procedure, root canal therapy is highly successful and usually lasts a lifetime.
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, contact Harmony Dental Group to request more information about root canal therapy:
- Sudden and severe pain, especially around a specific tooth
- Extreme sensitivity to hot and cold
- Pain when chewing
- Swelling and tenderness
- Abscess on the gums
By removing the damaged, infected inner structures of your teeth and replacing them with a safe material, root canal therapy at Harmony Dental Group prevents tooth loss, eliminates pain, and keeps your smile whole.
Root Canal Retreatment
Root canal therapy has a high success rate. Still, like every medical procedure, some people experience post-surgical complications that make retreatment necessary.
If you’re experiencing trouble with a previous root canal, your dentist may resolve the issue by removing the existing crown and gutta percha, re-cleansing the root canal of your tooth, and carefully refilling and sealing the tooth.
Root Canal Retreatment can be a better alternative to tooth extraction, especially if your damaged tooth has healthy bone support and healthy gums.
These signs may indicate that you need to call Harmony Dental Group for root canal retreatment:
- Cracked crown from an old root canal
- New decay in a previously treated tooth
- Fracture in a previously treated tooth
- Sudden pain and discomfort in a previously treated tooth
You don’t have to suffer in silence; call our office and schedule an appointment today.